Born in 1999, WebHost4Life is one of the fastest growing web hosting companies, with more than 200,000 customers and 170,000 websites across the globe. This web host is privately owned and run without outside investors, and this helps to make technical decisions and educated management to some degree.
On the flip side, there are many complaints about the reliability and performance of this company, although its yearly retention rate approximates to 80%. To dig out more behind the scenes, we will analyze both the advantages and disadvantages of WebHost4Life shared hosting in below.
How About Customer Testimonials?
Headquartered in Monterey Park, California, WebHost4Life so far has offered shared hosting, VPS hosting, domain registration and other Internet services to small to medium-sized businesses. It seems to be a great hosting service provider at first glance, but once searching on Google, we find many different opinions as below.
The Advantages of WebHost4Life
#1: rich hosting resources
Unlike most companies on the market, WebHost4Life provides Unix and Windows operating systems for webmasters to choose from. Generally the Unix hosting is less expensive than the Windows hosting, but there is only one single plan named “Unlimited Unix” available. In the following, we will go deeper into its specifications.
- Core features – unlimited disk space, scalable data transfer, unlimited hosted domains, 50 MySQL databases and shared SSL certificate as well.
- Email features – unlimited IMAP/POP3 email accounts, spam email filtering, forwarding accounts and browser-based email (WebMail).
- Commerce features – osCommerce shopping cart, ShopSite shopping cart (Starter), AgoraCart shopping cart and PayPal shopping cart integration.
- Web hosting settings – file manager, FTP manager, secure FTP, URL redirect service, custom error pages, MIME types as well as FrontPage extensions.
Meanwhile, here is a list of additional nice-to-have extra features that WebHost4Life offers:
- google webmasters tools.
- $100 google adwords bonus.
- ratepoint 60-day free membership.
- submitnet (search engine submission).
- $100 bing/yahoo! sponsored search credit.
#2: solid technical support team
WebHost4Life is continually hiring personnel with professional skills and top knowledge, and it claims that 75% of their support representatives consist of B.S. graduates with networking or computer degree. Also, this team has rich knowledge of web hosting, software programming, databases and hardware configuration, etc. There are multiple contact ways as below:
- Phone call. An international hotline number is published on of this company’s homepage, and anyone querying about “Sales” and “Billing” related questions will be answered in a timely manner.
- Live chat. Their chat button is placed right next to the phone call number, and the user name, email address, security question and reference number are required. There is no option to choose “Support Department” as only sales support is available there.
- Email. It is where to expect the so-called “high-quality” support, and only through the hosting panel can customers create and submit email tickets. This kind of support is much more time-consuming than the above methods and is definitely not meant to emergent issues.
- Knowledgebase & User Guides. WebHost4Life customers are also permitted to access the knowledge base to search through many kinds of articles in categories. A large number of “how-to” tutorials are placed within the “User Guides”.
#3: wind-powered & eco-friendly hosting
The offices and data centers of WebHost4Life are one hundred percent powered by wind power, and they are also purchasing “Renewable Energy Certificates” (RECs) to overcompensate for their energy use. To appeal more webmasters to use renewable energy, this company is now providing free “Green Badges” that will display a “Green Certificate” on the webpage.
The Disadvantages of WebHost4Life
#1: not competitive pricing
There is no any promotional discount for the “Unlimited Unix” plan that charges for $6.95/mo for both 12/24-month billing terms. Plus, domain name is not free, and subscribers need to pay $16.99/mo for a .com domain extension per year. Obviously this company is far from the economical choice when compared with other companies like BlueHost.
#2: not-outstanding server performance
WebHost4Life claims to use world-class hardware and servers to maximize connectivity rates and website performance. In our test (tested from Amsterdam, Netherlands) this company loads in 2.31s, which is not-outstanding among all the hosting companies in the market.
#3: unreliable hosting environment
WebHost4Life does guarantee an uptime of 99.9%m, but the fact just go the other way around. The continuous downtime is one of the most annoying things to deal with when running a website with this company. Plus, the feedback from their regular customers is pretty bad, and below is our proof.
More Need-to-Know Pitfalls
When hosting with WebHost4Life, there are more pitfalls that may not be a big deal but will affect a user’s experience:
- Only 30-day money back guarantee for account cancellation.
- No social pages for Twitter, Facebook or Google Plus.
- Less-popular WebMail control panel.
- Linux hosting is not provided.
Conclusion – Not a Good Choice for Web Hosting
From this WebHost4Life review, we can know the disadvantages of WebHost4Life outweigh its advantages, which makes this company not a good choice for web hosting. For convenience’s sake, we’ve listed three top companies that are unbeatable in every aspect of web hosting.